SmartGit is undoubtedly my best git client both for Windows and Linux. I’ve installed it a couple of times in the last few months already and it now is the time to stop learning how to install it again and again. Here I demonstrate how to install SmartGit 2.01 on Ubuntu 10.04
SmartGit offers many features but my best feature is the Conflict Solver. As the name implies, it helps you resolve version conflicts. Doing this without a GUI is a pain hence I treasure it. New in version 2 is a section on the bottom right of the window which shows Pushable Commits, which I think is a nice feature.
SmartGit was developed using Java so you’ll have to install Sun Java JRE. Below are full instructions on how to install both JRE and SmartGit. Installing SmartGit earlier than v2 is the same as below only that you won’t need to reinstall git.
1. Download SmartGit from http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/download.html
2. Download Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ Be sure to download the .bin and not rpm if u are using Ubuntu.
3. Once downloaded, you’ll need to make the bin executable and then run it.
chmod +x jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin ./jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin
running the executable will create a folder called jre1.6.0_23
4. Extract Smartgit and configure it. In a terminal do the following
tar zxf smartgit-generic-2_0_1.tar.gz cd smartgit-2_0_1 cd bin gedit smartgit.sh
Replace the SMARTGIT_JAVA_HOME variable with the full path to the extracted JRE folder
5. Upgrading git. If you’ve got git already install installed using aptitude then most likely you have git 188.8.131.52 (on Ubuntu 10.04). SmartGit requires git 1.7.1 or newer so we need to upgrade git. Download the latest git source from http://git-scm.com/ then in your terminal do the following
tar jxf git-184.108.40.206.tar.bz2 cd git-220.127.116.11/ ./configure make sudo make install
You should restart your system for after installing for some changes to take effect.
6. Run SmartGit
cd smartgit-2_0_1 cd bin ./smartgit.sh
7. Follow SmartGit Installation Wizard
To Create Shortcut on Desktop
- Right Click on Desktop and select “Create Launcher…”
- Select Icon from those included in /SmartGitFolder/bin/
- Enter path to /SmartGitFolder/bin/smartgit.sh
If the version of git is still 18.104.22.168 or you get the following screenshot while installing SmartGit during setup then you may want to try restarting your computer for some changes to be effected.